Friday, December 2, 2011

Losing Sight, Gaining Companion

At the age of 16, Jenica Mitchel was in a tragic car accident that left her blind in both eyes.

Mitchel is now 24 and relies on her seeing-eye dog to help her live her life.

“I don’t know what I’d do without my girl,” Mitchel said. “Not only does she help me, she keeps me company.”

Mitchel has had Kit, her seeing-eye dog, for five years.

Mitchel was hesitant on a seeing-eye dog at first, but with the help of Dr. Steven Young, an ophthalmologist at Logan Regional, she decided to try it out.

Mitchel received her dog from a group in Logan called Canine Companions for Independence that trains assistance dogs for people with disabilities.

“All our dogs are trained to help their owners in whatever way is needed,” said Brittany Anderson, a volunteer with CCI. “They don’t get distracted easily and know where and when it’s safe for them to lead.”

Melanie Young, Mitchel’s sister, has watched how Kit has changed Mitchel’s life. “Our parents weren’t sure how to deal with Jenica’s blindness,” she said. “They weren’t sure they’d ever see her smile again but Kit has really changed this family.”

Mitchel will never be able to see again but does worry about that interfering with her life.

“I hated life after the accident,” Mitchel said. “But now I see things different.”


b. cook