Friday, December 2, 2011

Backyard Breeding

In a parking lot west of Main Street in Logan once a year, Dave Green parks his pickup truck and opens his business; selling pit bull puppies.

Green has been a backyard breeder for three years in Cache County. His pit bull, Sheri, has had two full litters consisting of 10 puppies each and is currently pregnant with her third.

“I’ve heard that dogs should not be bread more than three times so I plan on getting her fixed after this litter,” Green said.

After Sheri’s last litter, Green kept one of her puppies to continue breeding after she is spayed.

Green says that his intentions aren’t on getting rich from the puppies.

“They help pay the bills,” Green said. “If you look online, some people sell their puppies at 1200 bucks each. I only charge 500."

Alyssa Walker, Cache Humane Society front office manager, disagrees with Green’s backyard
breeding and hopes to convince him to stop.

“We already have a shelter full of unclaimed or unwanted animals,” Walker said. “We don’t want more being abandoned.”

Walker has been in contact with Green for over a year but has not been able to persuade him to stop.

“I wouldn’t be doing this if I didn’t believe they would go to good homes,” Green said.
The shelter has walked Green around the shelter to show them their worries.

“I don’t think Dave realizes what he has been doing and how it affects the animals lives,” said Jeremy Harlan, a volunteer at CHS.

CHS workers stay in touch with Green but he has shown no interest in stopping his breeding business.

“I haven’t seen any of my dogs in the shelter,” Green said. “Once I start to see that some of my dogs are going to the shelter instead of homes, I will stop breeding them.”


c. moffitt